Saturday, September 26, 2009

Camel anyone?


One of the afternoons in Luxor we took a Faluka (sailboat) ride accross the Nile and met with a camel "caravan"! We all saddled up and took a camel ride down a path adjacent to the river Nile!!! We each had a camel leader, all under the age of 17. My guide was 13 year old punk named Mustaf. These boys were hilarious! They would hand us the reigns, then run down the line to a buddy and get a cigarette or a sip of beer or something. All the men (shop keepers, security guards, kids, you name it) try their darndest to flirt with us, perhaps in the hopes that one day they may score a wife and ticket to America, but it is rather hilarious and obnoxious. If I only had a dollar for everytime my eyes were beautiful or i was more beautiful than Cleopatra! These kids had it down to an art. We rode right at sunset and it was beautiful- right out of Arabian nights- incredibly romantic. Maybe if Mustaf had a few more years under his belt.... Just kidding!
Apparently i was a natural at camel back so Mustaf told me to sit like an Egyptian; cross legged atop the camel. I was all over that, espcially after he handed me the reigns. He smacked the camel's rear and off we went- me bouncing comedicaly up and down on the camel. What completed the picture was the fact that I was wearing a skirt that was billowing in the Egyptian breeze. ha! ops... I would have worn pants, but the only pair I brought had a whole the size of a watermelon in the crotch from doing an ultimate punch of the pyramid. Totally worth it! All in a day in Egypt!

1 comment:

  1. It is totally on my bucket list to ride a camel! I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Followers