Friday, October 30, 2009

Jerash





Jerash, Jordan is the best preserved Roman city. It was one of the ten cities of the Decapolis and was a major urban center during the turn of the millenium. It was incredible to walk down the Roman, paved walk-way, which was half a mile long, and pretend to be a Roman noble. Passing fountains, shops, and hundreds of sky-high columns. I loved this city, especailly the reinactment at the hippodrome... The hippodrome is where they used to have fights and chariot races! They partly restored this one, which is a mini mini-version of Circus Maximus (but still sat 15,000 people), ir order to do these reinactments and beleive you me, that was the best $10 i have ever spent!!!! They had a roman legion come out and do weapons drills and prance around, then had gladiator fights where the audience determined the ultimate fate of the loser: " La mort! La Vie!" as the little french boys were chandting and screaming behind me. Hilarious! One of the gladiators was a BIG boy struttin around in a little skirt down in the sand and i obviously took an instant liking to him. haha i whistled and yelled at/for him and in return, he would raise his sword at me and flex his pecs, sending them a'bouncin. HAA!!!!! I nearly died. Afterwards, I took a picture with him. He said "Can I see you later? Come closer? Green eyes? Goddess. Can I see you later?" haha i swear those are the only english words they teach these arab boys.
I also got a ride in a chariot, nearly trampled by said chariot driver, and a jumping picture with a hord of old, armed Arabs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers